Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Beware of Turkeys...

Okay, so I am posting this in the hopes that everyone can learn from my mistakes/naivete. I was so proud of myself for substituting ground turkey in all my recipes to make them lower fat. In fact, I had just barely bought a huge bag of turkey burger patties because I found a screaming deal on them at our local market. A few days later, I was talking to Brynna about my huge accomplishment and she politely smiled and said, "Just be careful and make sure you read the nutrition facts. Sometimes turkey is actually more fattening than beef." I thought, "no way." But, when I got home and looked at my bag, I was shocked, and then really mad!! 17 grams of fat in ONE turkey burger? So anyway, I decided to include a quote from a website on family nutrition. Turkey is better if you make sure you get the right kind. Ground turkey breast is the leanest. If any of you have tips on where the best and cheapest place is to find it, let me know!

[You might be tempted to use ground turkey

for a low-fat substitute for ground beef, but check the label before you assume too much. Not all ground turkey has the fat and calorie savings you might believe.

If a package is labeled "ground turkey," what it means is that it can be any combination of breast and leg meat, and even skin. A 3-ounce cooked portion of this kind of ground turkey has about 200 calories and 11 grams of fat. A 3-ounce cooked portion of extra-lean ground beef contains 218 calories and 13 grams of fat, so you aren't really getting reduced calories and fat from using this type of ground turkey.

What you want to look for is a label on ground turkey that says "ground turkey breast." This type has 100 calories and 1.5 grams of fat for the same cooked 3-ounce portion.]

http://food.families.com/blog/is-ground-turkey-better-than-ground-beef

No comments:

Post a Comment